Alex Fiol was born in Santiago de Cuba, Cuba in 1960 and grew up in Stony Brook, NY. He graduated from Furman University with a B.A. in Spanish in 1982 and from the University of Bridgeport with a law degree in 1986. He is licensed to practice law in the state courts of Florida, New York, and in the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida.
Prior to Fiol Law Group, Alex Fiol practiced personal injury law for the firm of Morgan & Morgan from 1991 to 2002. He was an attorney in the Orlando office, prior to moving to Tampa to establish that firm's Tampa office. He was a managing partner and head of Morgan & Morgan's nursing home department in the Tampa office.
Alex Fiol is responsible for nursing home litigation in Florida and New York. He also provides legal representation to victims of general negligence.
Martindale-Hubbell, the pre-eminent resource for information on the legal profession, has issued Alex Fiol an AV rating*. Martindale-Hubbell describes the AV rating as follows: "The Martindale-Hubbell AV rating indicates very high to preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar."
As a member of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers Association, Alex Fiol has been active with the Bay Area Legal Services, as the Co-Chairperson of its fundraising phonathon, and is a member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association. Other memberships include the American Association for Justice and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association. He also served as the Treasurer of the Central Florida Hispanic Bar Association.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Areas of Practice
- 95% General Negligence - Plaintiffs
- 5% Medical Malpractice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1991
- Florida, 1991
- New York, 1987
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1994
- University of Bridgeport School of Law, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- J.D. - 1986
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina
- B.A. - 1982
- Major: Spanish Literature
- Melvin Wright, Esq.
- Brett Kurland, Esq.
- Joshua Drechsel, Esq.
- Robert Gomez, President-Site to Key Services
- Cally Catania, Esq.
Honors and Awards
- AVVO Rating - Excellent, 2008 - 2009
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Rated for High to Preeminent Legal Ability and Very High Ethical Standards as Established by Confidential Opinions from Members of the Bar
- 2015 Tampa Tribune Top Rated Lawyer in Tampa's Legal Leaders, Published in the April 2015 Tampa Tribune
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Latin Business Chamber of General, Member, 2009
- Florida Justice Association, Member, 1991 - 2009
- Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2003 - 2009
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member, 2002 - 2009
- Central Florida Hispanic Bar Association, Treasurer, 1993 - 1995
Past Employment Positions
- Morici and Morici, P.A., Attorney, 1987 - 1991
- Morgan, Colling & Gilbert, P.A., Attorney/Partner, 1991 - 2002
Pro Bono Activities
- Student Advisory Committee - FishHawk Creek Elementary Board Chairman - 2 Years, Board Member - 5 Years, 2003 - 2009
- Brighter Community - Board Member, 2002 - 2003
- Tau Kappa Epsilon